N2-GEN® LASER Series – Nitrogen Generation System Designed for Fiber Laser and CO2 Laser Cutting Applications
Introducing the N2-GEN® LASER Series – Nitrogen Generation System specifically designed for use within Fiber Laser and CO2 Laser Cutting applications; devised and manufactured by South-Tek Systems, the leader in Nitrogen Generation Technology.
Laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) cutting is a technology that uses light to cut various materials through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of electromagnetic radiation. Some industrial applications for cutting metals are with CO2 Laser and Fiber Laser cutting equipment. Nitrogen is used as a high pressure gas assist for cutting, beam path purge, and optics head purge.
The typical layout for the N2-GEN LS package is shown below. An air compressor feeds the nitrogen generator. As the Nitrogen is separated from the compressed air stream, it is concentrated in a low pressure Nitrogen storage tank. From there, the Nitrogen goes through a high pressure Nitrogen booster package and into a final high pressure Nitrogen receiver tank.
Nitrogen Applications within Laser Cutting
- High Pressure Gas Assisted Cutting: Nitrogen is used as a high pressure gas assist for laser cutting to remove oxygen from the cutting zone. This leads to an improved cut quality, eliminates oxidation and prevents discoloration resulting in improved paint adhesion and weld strength.
- Beam Path Purge: Nitrogen is used as a beam path purge to remove any particulate from the laser beams path from the nozzle to the cutting zone. This prevents any laser distortion and helps to maintain a more precise cut.
- Optics Head Purge: Nitrogen is used to purge the optics head on Fiber Lasers. This head purge keeps the optics free of particulate and moisture, protecting the laser and prolonging the useful life of the equipment.
The Advantages of Nitrogen use in Laser Cutting include:
- Nitrogen is inert, dry, non-flammable gas used to remove oxygen
- Prevents oxidation, scaling, or discoloration
- Rapidly removes molten metal or dross from cutting zone
- Protects laser optics, mirrors, and lenses
- Gives edges better adhesion for paint
- Gives welded edges improved bend strength
- Removes particulate from beam path reducing laser distortion
The Nitrogen requirements for the laser will vary depending on the laser type, material type/thickness, and laser setup. Click the link below to download the questionnaire or contact South-Tek Systems today to speak with a laser specialist.
For help with sizing a nitrogen generator for your needs, please download the PDF and see the questionnaire on page two, then contact us.
For more information on our nitrogen laser cutting products, please call us today to speak with a South-Tek Systems representative: (888) 526-6284